Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Couponing 101 -- Part One (Updated)


How to Begin Couponing 101 -- Part One


1. Unless you have an allergy or REALLY, REALLY dislike something... you no longer have brand loyalty. Let's face it... do you really CARE if you are using Suave or Arm & Hammer deodorant? Colgate? Crest? If it meant that you could get your deodorant for FREE or pennies would it make a difference then? These are decisions you need to make. I find, I don't care. All of the items we're going to purchase are NAME-BRAND. Nothing is store-brand. ***Additionally, if it's a FREE item, you might consider just getting it and donating it to a charity -- or a friend or family member in need.***

2. You might be shopping in a couple different places than you used to shop. I didn't realize how much I LOVED CVS until I began couponing. I used to HATE Target, but now I will frequent there. You must also consider gas, too... I like Middleboro because it has a CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Hannaford, what was a Stop and Shop all right there. I think it's a Trucchis(?) now. Also Walmart is just down the street, too.

3. You'll get to know the policies of the stores you frequent: 

  • Walmart will price-match any store.  BRING FLYER.
  • Trucchi's, Stop and Shop, and Shaws'  double your coupons up to 99 cents.
  • CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid have deals where you get "Extra Bucks" or "Register Rewards" for purchasing certain items (aka FREE MONEY to spend on other items!)
  • Target has their own store-coupons that you can use with manufacturer coupons so you can STACK for bigger savings.  They also offer gift cards for purchasing certain combinations of items.   

Sounds like a lot, I know. But, really, it isn't. There are a bunch of websites that do all the work for you, actually!! :)

My recommendations are www.coupondivas.com and also www.thekrazycouponlady.com
A good friend recommends http://www.mavenofsavin.com/

4. On Sunday, in the morning, go buy a newspaper that has coupons in it. I like the Boston Herald because it is only $2. Remember, we're trying to go CHEAP here! CHECK your newspaper before you buy it to make sure it has the coupons in it!! Last week, I had to snag a Red Plum coupon flyer out of another paper because it wasn't IN the paper I had picked up... Sneaky newspaper people. Grrr...

Now, click on the link below to read Part Two and continue learning the basics!!  Not too much more to go!  Hang in there!  Click the link below to see Part II for some advanced tips: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=985548253119896827#editor/target=post;postID=307729806001591819

1 comment: